Tenants Frequently Asked Questions

What will happen if my income changes and I don't report it?

  • You must report any of the following changes within 30 days:
    • Any household income increase
    • If you are considering having a new person move into your unit (the person must be eligible and approved by NRH prior to moving in)
    • A member of your household moves out
    • A member of your household is no longer in school and has an income

    If you do not report any of these changes to Niagara Regional Housing (NRH) you will no longer be eligible for rent-geared-to-income assistance.

What happens if I send my annual income verification form in late?

If you do not send your annual income verification into NRH on time you may cease to qualify for rent-geared-to-income assistance. You can request an appeal of this decision.

What decisions can I appeal?

You can ask for an appeal if they believe that:

  • The rent calculation was based on incorrect information
  • The rent was calculated incorrectly
  • The subsidy should not have been terminated
  • You have been asked to move because you have too many bedrooms for the number of people in your household

How much time do I have to request a review of my loss of subsidy?

You have 30 business days from the date you were informed of the decision to request a review in writing. The Appeal Committee must complete their review within 10 business days of your request for an appeal.

If my child is receiving an income will this change my rent and will they be required to pay rent?

Yes. If your child is not in school, it will affect your rent. All income must be reported.

What happens if I don’t have an income?

In order to continue to be eligible for RGI assistance, tenants are required to pursue income from the following sources:

  • Basic financial assistance under the Ontario Works Act, 1997
  • Support under the Divorce Act (child support)
  • Benefits under the Employment Insurance Act
  • Any pension that a person is entitled to receive (Old Age Security, Guaranteed Income Supplement, Canada Pension)
  • Support or maintenance from immigration sponsorship

You have 30 days to provide proof that you have made reasonable efforts to pursue any of the above incomes.

If my rent increases to the market rent, what type of notice should I expect to receive?

You will receive 90 days notice of an increase to the maximum (market) rent. This timeline is set by the Residential Tenancies Act.

How do I pay my rent?

You have several options to pay your rent:

  1. Cash or debit payments can be made at the office located at Campbell East, 1815 Sir Isaac Brock Way, Thorold
  2. Cheques, post-dated cheques and money orders can be mailed to our office or dropped off in site boxes located in most housing communities
  3. Pre-authorized Payment Plans allow withdrawal of your rent directly from your bank account. You will need to supply NRH with a void cheque and signed authorization in order to set up this plan
  4. Telephone and online rent payments are available through most banks. Check with your bank to see if this is available to you. You will require your tenant number when you sign up.

What if my cheque is returned NSF (non-sufficient funds)?

NRH charges a fee for returned cheques.

What do I do if I receive a Notice of Termination for Nonpayment of Rent (N4)?

If you receive a N4, you must pay the full amount of rent owing before the termination date on the notice or NRH may proceed to the Landlord Tenant Board to evict you from your unit. Please call your Property Manager (PM) if you require assistance.

If I want to move, how much notice do I have to give?

You must give NRH 60 days notice in writing before you move. The only exception to this is if a death occurs, in which case a 30-day notice is required from the date that NRH is notified of the passing. This is set by the Residential Tenancies Act (RTA).

Who do I contact if my unit needs repairs?

If your unit needs repairs, you should call your Tenant Support Representative (TSR) and give your name, address, telephone number and details of the repair that is needed. If it is after regular business hours (Monday – Friday 8:30-4:30), you can leave a voice mail message for your TSR. If it is a maintenance emergency, the answering service is available on our regular telephone number 24 hours a day.

If I have no heat, should I contact the gas company?

No. If you have no heat you should contact your Tenant Support Representative (TSR). If it is after regular business hours, please speak to the answering service at our regular office phone number.

If I have no hot water or a leaking water tank, who do I call?

Hot water tanks are rental units, so call the gas company at 1-800-266-3939 and the tank will be repaired or replaced at no cost to you.

Who should I call if I smell gas?

If you smell gas, leave the unit right away and contact the gas company at 1-866-763-5427.

Who do I call if I have an emergency after office hours?

Always call 911 if it is a police, fire or health emergency. If it is an emergency related to your NRH unit (ex. no heat, flooding, toilet not working and you only have one etc), please call the regular office number at 905-682-9201 and follow the prompts for the After Hours Emergency operator.

What do I do if I lose my keys? Can I change the locks?

You are not allowed to change the locks. Contact your Tenant Support Representative (TSR) to request a lock change and new keys will be supplied. The cost will be the amount that NRH is charged by the locksmith.

Can I paint or wallpaper my unit?

Yes, but you must get written permission from your Property Manager (PM) before starting the project. If you choose to wallpaper, dry strippable paper must be used. If you paint, pastels colours are acceptable.

Dark paint colours must be returned to the original colour and wallpaper must be removed before you move out. Failure to do so will result in maintenance charges which will be pursued after you move out of the unit.

Can I install carpet in my unit?

Yes, as long as the carpet is not fitted under the baseboards, glued or nailed down. You must remove the carpet before you move out of the unit.

Can I install a satellite dish?

Yes, but you will need to get written permission first from your Property Manager (PM). We have guidelines that you must follow to install the dish.

Is there an extra charge if I install an air conditioner in my unit?

Yes. You must pay $60.00 per year for the cost of electricity. We will add $5.00 each month to your rent.

What should I do if my smoke/carbon monoxide detector doesn’t work or keeps going off?

If you are certain that there is no fire or carbon monoxide, contact your Tenant Support Representative (TSR) immediately or speak to the answering service at NRH if it is not during regular business hours.

NOTE: It is illegal to disconnect your smoke/carbon monoxide detector. A disconnected smoke detector is subject to a fine by Fire Services and puts the health and safety of other tenants at risk.

When will my unit be painted?

Units are painted before a new tenant moves in.

Was this page helpful?

© Niagara Regional Housing