In-Situ Rent Supplement Program

For households interested in applying:

  1. What is the In-Situ Rent Supplement Program?

    A program that provides full subsidy to eligible households on the Centralized Waiting List in the unit where they currently live. Households will have their rents calculated based on their gross income and Housing Services will pay difference between the calculated rent (rent-geared-to-income) and the market rent directly to the landlord.

  2. Does my application stay on the Housing Access Centralized Waiting List when I agree to participate in the In-Situ Rent Supplement Program?

    No. If you accept the offer to receive full subsidy in the unit you currently live in, your household will be considered housed and will no longer receive other offers. You will still be able to reapply to Centralized Waiting List.

  3. How long will I continue to receive the Rent Supplement?

    The Rent Supplement will continue for as long as you reside at this address and continue to meet eligibility requirements to receive rent-geared-to-income.

  4. How much rent-geared-to-income will I have to pay?

    The rent you will pay to your landlord will be calculated based on your gross income and the types of assets you own. In general, the amount you will pay will be approximately 30% of your gross monthly income.

  5. When will my Rent Supplement start?

    Once all documents have been received and your application is approved, all efforts will be made to start the Rent Supplement payments to your landlord the following month. Participants for this program will be considered on a first come, first serve basis.

  6. How long will I have to decide if I want to participate in the In-Situ Rent Supplement Program?

    You will have 30 days to provide a current lease and most recent income documentation for all members of the household.

  7. Is the Rent Supplement paid directly to me or to my landlord?

    The Rent Supplement is paid directly to your landlord.

  8. I qualify for a one-bedroom unit on the Housing Access Centralized Waiting List. Can I receive a Rent Supplement for a two-bedroom unit?

    No, the Rent Supplement is based on occupancy standards and household income. If you currently reside in a two-bedroom unit but are only eligible for a one-bedroom unit, you would be considered overhoused and would not be eligible to receive the supplement in that unit.

  9. I currently rent an apartment from a relative. Does my unit qualify?

    No, it does not apply to a unit owned by a relative of the household.

  10. I live in a rooming house. Does my unit qualify?

    No, only households living in a self-contained unit (use of own kitchen and bathroom) are eligible under this program.

  11. I am sharing my apartment. Does my unit qualify?

    No, apartments shared with another person or family who is not part of your application for housing (e.g. renting a room, sharing with roommates) do not qualify for this program.

  12. What happens if my household income changes while receiving a Rent Supplement?

    You must report changes in your household income as they occur. If you do not provide proof of the changes within 30 calendar days, you could be disqualified from the program. If your income has increased to an amount that makes you ineligible, you will be required to pay the full monthly rent for your unit. You will receive 90 days notice if you no longer qualify for the Rent Supplement.

  13. After I start receiving the Rent Supplement, can I move to another unit and still receive the Rent Supplement at the new unit?

    No, the Rent Supplement will only be for where you currently live.

  14. Is Housing Services my landlord under the In-Situ Rent Supplement Program?

    No, you must speak directly to your landlord about anything related to your unit. All rights and obligations under the Residential Tenancies Act, 2006 apply. Housing Services has no role in the landlord-tenant relationship.

  15. If I am not eligible or I choose not to participate in the In-Situ Rent Supplement Program what happens to my status on the Housing Access Centralized Waiting List?

    There is no change to your status on the Housing Access Centralized Waiting List.

  16. What is the Average Market Rent?

    The Average Market Rent is based on private rental market data collected annually by Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation.

  17. Can I find a unit if I am not currently living in an eligible unit?

    Yes, if where you are living does not meet the eligibility requirements you will have 30 days to find a unit and provide all the necessary information to complete your application.

  18. I am living in or have found a unit in co-operative or non-profit housing, is my unit eligible?

    Units within existing social housing providers such co-operative or non-profit housing corporations may not be eligible through the In-Situ Rent Supplement program. If you think the unit is with an existing social housing provider, you can check by contacting the Tenant Placement Coordinator at 905-980-6000 or 1-800-232-3292 ext. 3931.

For landlords participating in the program:

  1. Will I have to take new tenants from Housing Services if the current tenant moves out?

    No, the agreement you will sign will be for the current tenant only. Housing Services will be happy to discuss a longer-term agreement or adding more units with interested landlords.

  2. Will my relationship with the tenant change?

    No, the normal landlord-tenant relationship remains the same with all rights and obligations under the Residential Tenancies Act, 2006 continuing to apply. Housing Services has no role in the landlord-tenant relationship.

  3. What happens if I sell the property?

    If the purchasers of the building intend to continue to rent, the tenants retain their respective rights as a tenant and an assumption agreement would be signed with the new owner. If the purchaser intends to use the unit for their own purpose the current landlord would retain the right to serve tenants with the applicable LTB notice (N12).

  4. Can I change the market rent?

    You may only change the market rent in line with the rules and restrictions as defined in the Residential Tenancies Act, 2006. The supplement paid will be adjusted to reflect changes in the market rent.

Was this page helpful?

© Niagara Regional Housing