Social Housing Providers

Niagara Regional Housing is committed to diverse and creative affordable housing solutions. As such, we provide support and legislative direction to 66 non-profit and co-operative social housing providers across Niagara.

Board Member Applications Being Accepted

Niagara Regional Housing is looking for volunteers who are willing to serve temporarily on social housing provider Board of Directors.

Non-profit Housing Corporations

Non-profit corporations are privately owned and operated by an elected Board of Directors from the community at large. The corporations' actions are governed by non-profit by-laws and legislation, including the Residential Tenancies Act.

There are 43 non-profit social housing providers throughout Niagara. In non-profit housing, 75% of households pay rent-geared-to-income, while the remaining 25% pay market rent.

Co-operative Housing Corporations

Co-operatives are owned and managed by the members who live in the units. The Board of Directors is elected from the membership and governs in accordance with applicable legislation, their own by-laws and the Co-operatives Corporations Act.

Co-operatives have their own by-laws and restrictions regarding pets, and the rules will vary among individual cooperatives. The key difference between a co-op and other non-profit housing is that members are required to volunteer their time to help with the running of their co-op.

Within Niagara, there are 24 co-operatives. 75% of the co-operatives' households pay rent-geared-to-income, while the remaining 25% pay market rent.

Federal co-operatives’ administration and funding remain with the federal government through the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation.


Was this page helpful?

© Niagara Regional Housing