Households were on the affordable housing waitlist in 2015
Households granted a forgivable loan to help buy their first home
Homeowners received assistance through Niagara Renovates
Households were housed through the Housing First program
Support and enrichment activities were provided to tenants
Rent-Geared-to-Income units provided
Non-Profit and Co-operatives units provided
Rent Supplement and Housing Allowance units provided
Snapshot of NRH
Since 2002, NRH has been the administrator of affordable housing for Niagara Region.
What is affordable housing? Generally, affordable housing is defined as costing no more than 30 per cent of a household's gross monthly income.
Niagara Regional Housing (NRH) is dedicated to providing and advocating for quality affordable housing in Niagara through a combination of programs and services including:
- Housing First - In partnership with community agencies, the Housing First program helps people move quickly from homelessness to their own home by providing supports to help them find and keep housing
- Public Housing - NRH operates and manages more than 2,600 Public Housing units in high-rise and low-rise apartment buildings, townhouses and detached houses for families, adults and seniors. Tenants pay Rent-Geared-to-Income (RGI) which is 30% of their household income.
- Social Housing - NRH provides legislative oversight to 66 non-profit and co-operative social housing providers across Niagara. These housing providers own and manage more than 3,900 rental units that are a mix of RGI and market rents.
- Rent Supplement Program - NRH has agreements with more than 100 private landlords for approximately 1000 units that are filled from the Centralized Waiting List
- Housing Allowance Program - NRH provides a supplement payment directly to private and non-profit landlords. The program is intended to provide temporary assistance while the tenant remains on the waiting list for a permanent rent-geared-to-income unit. This program ends March 2020.
- Niagara Renovates - Niagara Regional Housing provides funding through this program which assists private homeowners with renovations, major repairs and accessibility modifications
- Welcome Home Niagara - Niagara Regional Housing offers down payment assistance for eligible applicants. Available funds are limited and will be allotted on a first come first serve basis. Read the fact sheet to find out if you are eligible. To apply, fill out and send the application to NRH.
- Community Programs - In partnership with community agencies, NRH offers educational and lifeskills programs and assistance, mediation and conflict resolution, crisis management and community support information to help maintain successful tenancies